Job Description - Communications Coordinator
Type of Position
Full-time, indeterminate position
Hours of Work
37.5 hours/ week, Monday – Friday, may include some evenings and weekends, depending on relevant events
$55,000 - 60,000/ year, depending on level of experience
Location & Office Environment
Due to COVID-19, this job will remain remote for the foreseeable future. The successful candidate will be provided with a laptop computer and the necessary software to complete their duties, including the use of Zoom and other online collaboration tools. They will be expected to provide their own Internet connection and telephone in order to stay connected.
Description of Organization
The Alliance to End Homelessness Ottawa (ATEHO) is a member-driven coalition of local organizations and individuals collaborating and advocating to prevent and end homelessness in Ottawa. The Alliance aims to achieve an inclusive city where everyone has a secure, appropriate and affordable home. The mission of the Alliance is to prevent, reduce and end homelessness in Ottawa.
Reporting to the Executive Director of ATEHO, the Communications Coordinator is responsible for: developing and implementing a full range of communications strategies to support the work of the Alliance; planning and coordinating member events throughout the year; coordinating and supporting volunteers for the Alliance, including Board and Committee meetings; assisting with revenue generation; and undertaking other related duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Communications Strategies and Initiatives
- Develop and implement an annual communications strategy and plan that leverages technology, as well as traditional media, to promote the interests of the Alliance.
- Manage all digital communications for the Alliance, including all social media (YouTube, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram), the website and the listserv, ensuring content is engaging and current.
- Use traditional media outlets to promote the work of the Alliance, drafting media lines, news releases and official statements and maintain current and positive relationships with local media personnel.
- Write supporting materials such as media and social media content, scripts, media talking points, commentaries, newsletters, brochures, presentations and web content that support the organization’s strategic priorities.
- Oversee the production process of reports, briefings, policy updates, and other materials created by the Alliance for distribution to members, elected officials or the public.
- Develop, monitor and maintain consistent and strategic branding initiatives for Alliance communications.
- Create visual content (graphics, infographics, covers, etc.) that reflect an appropriate and consistent message and adhere to brand guidelines, using Adobe Creative Suite or other appropriate software.
- Monitor media daily to track all messaging related to the Alliance and its interests and ensure the Executive Director is kept up to date on issues of key media interest.
2. Event Planning and Coordination
- In conjunction with Alliance volunteers, plan and implement member events, designed to share information and knowledge, and inspire best practices among members.
- Develop a communications plan for member events that identifies potential media opportunities, and includes preparation of media advisories, targeted media outreach and social media posts, as well as responding to media inquiries.
- Develop and implement sponsorship and other revenue generating opportunities to ensure member events are financially sustainable.
- Organize all logistics for member events including venue, refreshments, audio-visual equipment, registration, evaluation and content distribution.
- Plan and organize the Annual General Meeting of the Alliance, to be held in the Fall of each year, including development of the agenda, invitations, registration, and all logistics.
3. Volunteer Coordination and Support
- Develop and implement Volunteer Engagement Strategy, including ongoing communication with volunteers by managing website infrastructure for volunteer communication
- Provide administrative support for meetings of the Board of Directors
4. Revenue Generation
- On an annual basis, support the collection of membership fees, issuing notices, monitoring receipts and following up on unpaid fees.
- Research and review potential grant and foundation applications, draft grant and foundation requests and track responses.
5. Other Related Duties
- Undertake other related duties, as assigned by the Executive Director from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities
Education in communications or a related field plus 3 years of relevant experience.
Exceptional written and oral communication skills in English, with proficiency in both French and English preferred.
Experience with social network platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, etc.
Advanced IT skills particularly with Google Suites, Nation Builder, Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, Canva or other appropriate software and website management.
Knowledge of emerging communications trends and relevant technologies.
Administrative experience related to meeting organization and support, as well as financial management.
Experience with event organization and ability to work effectively with volunteers.
Strong interpersonal skills, ability to collaborate and also to work independently.
Ability to work with diverse populations, including at-risk individuals.
Knowledge of homelessness and related issues would be a strong asset.
Fundraising experience would be an asset.
We encourage applications from individuals who reflect the broad diversity of communities we work with and disproportionately experience homelessness and housing insecurity, in particular those with lived experience of homelessness, women, First Nations, Inuit, and Métis People, racially visible groups, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ2S+ communities.
If at any stage in the selection process you require special accommodation, please let us know the nature of the required accommodation.
Please send your resume and cover letter to Kaite Burkholder Harris (Executive Director) at [email protected] with the subject line Communications Coordinator Application by: Friday, February 25th at 5:00 pm.
Due to the high volume of applicants, we can neither confirm receipt of nor respond to inquiries regarding your application. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.