Why does a city need permission to do a rent retention bylaw?

Because of the Residential Tenancies Act that governs municipalities, a city needs permission from the provincial government to enact a rent retention bylaw. Because of this, rent retention bylaws vary provincially. 

Residential Tenancies Act (full document) 

Residential Tenancies Act (summary) 

Take action

Join Our Team

Sign up for updates

Address: PO Box 22021, Ottawa, ON K1V 0W2

Maytree_logo_horizontal_colour_rgb.png.   OCF_EN-small.png.     united-way-east-ontario-logo-en-300x106.png